Jake Frank, Managing Director, Hotels and Corporate Development for Gategroup
“I believe the real foodies need to take back the word “Foodie” from the pretenders. Bottom line, being a foodie must be about sharing the enjoyment of ALL types of food with ALL types of people. I believe in the religion of food and its power to bring people together. The world has a better chance of agreeing on food than anything else. Let’s eat!”
- The best thing you’ve ever eaten and why? Mom’s mac and cheese, and if you have to ask why then I can’t explain it.
- Childhood food that you still won’t eat? Lima beans
- Dead or alive who would you most love to cook, dine or work with? Albert Einstein
- Why did you decide to become a leader in the restaurant biz? Passion for food and helping others to experience the joy it brings
- Funniest food or work-related mishap/incident? A customer found a bolt in one of our sandwiches, still chose to eat the entire sandwich and then his wife demanded a refund plus extra compensation
- How has the business changed during your career? Food has gotten way, way too complex. The basics are still the best.
- Most challenging ingredient to work with? Apathy
- Staple junk food in your pantry? Microwave popcorn
- What is your best career accomplishment to date? Launched buy-on-board program across the world’s largest airline
- What is your favorite aspect of your business? Food people are good people
- Who is your biggest culinary inspiration and why? Anthony Bourdain because he is open to everything
- Favorite restaurant you’d recommend? French Laundry – if you have the money
- Your absolute must have kitchen item? Oversized sink
- 1Your death row meal? Bone-in ribeye